Wednesday, April 22, 2009

2009 Fab Five contest

This was my first time coordinating (Paranormal) and judging (Historical Romance) in the WisRWA FabFive contest. In the words of Groucho Marx, I’d never join a club that would have me as a member, but Karen took a chance on me. Being a newbie, I worked extra hard to get it right.

Coordinating fit like an old glove. I love converting chaos to order. That’s why I’m the one at home who does the laundry at home. I draw the line at dishes, though.

Twenty-four contestants entered my category, the bulk of them arriving in a flurry during the last couple days. I edited format, organized the entries and got them off to fourteen different judges. Each entry was judged by three different people, so my twenty-four entries exploded to seventy-two separate documents! Naturally, a bunch of the judges waited until the last possible moment to do their judging, so a wave of critiqued and scored entries came back right at the deadline or a little beyond. I was happy to see that even the stragglers did a great job of critiquing. Only one of my fourteen judges was stingy when it came to writing comments all over the entries.

As a coordinator, I had the opportunity to read twenty-four pieces of unpublished work. I didn’t really need to do that as part of my assignment, but how could I resist? I also read all of the critiques. Let me tell you, seeing the entries through so many discerning eyes was a major educational experience. It will undoubtedly help me improve my own writing going forward.

Judging was a great experience. The poorest entries were the hardest to critique, of course, and I spent extra time on them. Hopefully my gentle explanation of concepts such as GMC and POV will encourage the struggling new writers in my group of entrants to read a few books on writing and become better novelists. I tried to help even the best writers by pointing out where sentence structure could be made more interesting or where the dialogue might flow better with fewer tags. There was a time many years ago when I thought about becoming a teacher. Judging brought out that side of me.

Finally, I made new friends among the judges and some of the entrants as a result of my FabFive participation, so I got something of lasting value from the experience.

Can’t wait till next year’s contest!

1 comment:

  1. Joe--this was my first contest and I'm so glad I entered. Right now I am working on the manuscript and using judge feedback to edit it. Fresh eyes really helped (who knew that I used the word "crackled" as a verbal tic? Would have never seen that on my own). Thanks, all of you!

    ReplyDelete