Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Resolutions

New Years resolutions have always struck me as unsustainable, behavior-changing promises. They might see the light of day, or perhaps a week, but certainly no longer than that. Few of us can escape from ourselves.

Yet suppose we resolve to do things that aren't behavior-changing? Suppose we identify certain positive activites in our lives and simply resolve to engage in these activities more often -- much more often -- in fact, so often that few people in the entire country might match the combination of feats we plan?

I could do that. Yeah.

So here's my list. Three simple things. If I can accomplish these three things in combination, I'll be unique:

WRITING - Write a novel
I've just begun the first draft of my new novel, Invulnerable. I resolve to complete this novel in 2010.

READING - Read a ton
I received a Kindle as a Christmas gift and found I can now read in bed without getting sleepy. I resolve to read one book per week for a total of fifty-two books in 2010.

Exercise - Wear out my bicycle
Here's the really hard one. I live in Wisconsin where we're lucky to have 200 good, bicycle-riding days in a year. I resolve to ride five miles on each of those days for a total of 1,000 miles in 2010.

What's your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment