Saturday, May 22, 2010

Agent pitch post mortem

Around the end of April, I began rewriting and praciticing my agent pitch endlessly. I got it down to a couple hundred words and recited it so many times, it will be stuck in my head forever. However, I never used a word of it.

When my timeslot came up, I sat down with the agent and told him I had completed The Vagrant, a 90,000 word paranormal romance. He then asked about my paranormal element. I told him the story involves time travel and dreams. That made him slump in his chair! For a few very good reasons, time travel and dreams aren't popular themes among agents. However, when I got into the particulars of my vision, he shot back up. My idea is unique, and that's the key, particularly for time travel. He asked for a partial before I told him anything about the story.

I really like this agent and hoped I'd perk his interest. I also heard later that he didn't request many partials that day. So, YAY!

1 comment: